Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pocahontas Night

We started our Pocahontas Day with a late breakfast of Native American Fry Bread. 

Here's the recipe I used, I got it from All Recipes but altered it a little because it needed more flour to not be sticky and I wanted it to be sweeter so I put honey in the dough. 
Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups warm water
¼ cup honey
4 cups oil or shortening for frying

Directions:
Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the honey and the water. Knead until soft but no longer sticky. Shape dough into balls about 3 inches in diameter. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick and make a small hole in the center of each patty. Fry one at a time turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.




Next we made hair feathers and headdresses.




We made a totem pole of animals that represented us.

The Monkguin (Penguin/Monkey) is my husband. I called him a Monkguin years ago because he walks like a penguin with his toes pointing outward and he acts like a monkey...

The Raccoon is Katelynn. We chose the Raccoon for Katelynn because she is curious and loves cleanliness. She loves trying new things, she's very adventurous. She also hates being dirty; she won't even lick food off her fingers, they need to be wiped clean!

The owl is Lexi. Lexi chose the Owl because she says she's wise. Lexi is a smart cookie and sometimes she says things that are beyond her years. She has an excellent memory, high vocabulary skills, and is very inquisitive which I think leads her to say things most 7 year olds wouldn't. 

The Turtle is me. I chose the turtle because the Turtle symbolizes adaptability, I am able to adapt to whatever life throws at me including numerous moves because my home is wherever my family is.  I also chose the Turtle because I am  
                                          very shy. When I am uncomfortable or insecure, I withdraw into my 'shell.' 



We also made dream catchers.






We also played with Pocahontas paper dolls and a Pocahontas paper playset (which is available here under constructibles).





For a snack while we made our crafts, we ate homemade tortillas in leaf shapes served with salsa and cheese dip. (Recipe available here from FamilyFun.com)


For dinner we made an abbreviated Thanksgiving feast: turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob. 

No comments:

Post a Comment